Student Business Services Consultant – Consulting and Training
Full-time, Part-time, Contractual/Project-based
In our Consulting and Training division, you will empower colleges and universities to strengthen their
financial health, optimize enrollment and enhance the student experience. You will use your subject
matter expertise in student financial services and higher education to help clients achieve their goals.
Generally, consulting and training engagements have a life cycle of less than three months; some can
run a little longer based on a client’s unique needs. Consultants in this division work directly with clients
and may be tapped to present at industry gatherings and conferences.
- Providing consulting and guidance to clients on an array of topics and issues surrounding business office and student accounts operations.
- Assessing student accounts offices’ efficiency and effectiveness.
- Guiding clients through complex regulatory issues, including various types of audits, federal program reviews, recertification, and the Heighten Cash Monitoring (HCM) disbursement method.
- Assisting clients with developing and deploying policies and procedures.
- Crafting and conducting training virtually, on location at client’s campus, and/or at industry meetings.
- Working with clients to develop learning goals for customized training engagements.
- Gathering information to assess the project’s success with measurable outcomes.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5+ years of experience working in the bursar’s office or student accounts at a public or (not-for-profit) private institution.
- Deep understanding of bursar and student accounts operations, cash management, accounting practices, disbursement and refund processes, loan servicing, collections, 1098-T preparation, PCI, FERPA and other compliance measures.
- Functional knowledge of automated student administration systems.
- Exposure to other types of education technologies such as mobile bill presentment and payment processing, e-commerce.
- Ability to evaluate clients’ needs, then develop actionable recommendations and solutions.
- Knack for assessing financial aid operations and making recommendations for process improvement and advancing service quality.
- Experience designing, developing, and delivering training in multiple instruction settings (e.g., large-group presentations, seminar format, small-group sessions, one-on-one and self-paced).
- Excellent communication, presentation delivery and technical writing skills.
About your role
You will often own a client engagement from start to finish but you have the full support of your FAS
colleagues to help you succeed.
At times, you will be part of a consulting team which means you’ll play a specific role on a project. The
client and your FAS colleagues will rely on you to bring your full self to the table. This means sharing
your ideas, opinions, and honest feedback in a positive way.
At FAS, our culture is centered on a sense of belonging. We strive to earn our clients’ trust and
confidence by providing quality service and truly caring about their results. Our values define how we
conduct our business and treat everyone. We are dedicated to developing meaningful client
relationships and going the extra mile to exceed their expectations.